Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I'm Finally Posting My First Recipe!

I have a confession to make. I set up this blog over a year ago. Oh, I had good intentions mind you. I was going to cook and blog...and blog and cook...all the while sharing my tasty finds with the world. Sadly, over a year later, no treasured recipes had made it to the blog. A couple of months ago my sister suggested that we share the blog and actually post on it. ACTUALLY POST ON MY BLOG? What a novel idea! Since I'm in Utah and she's in California, the blog is a great way for us to easily share recipes--and entice each other with photos. I've decided to get with the program and get cooking...and blogging. Actually, I've been cooking all along. I just need to work on the blogging part! Since this is my first post (all the others before this are courtesy of my very talented sister) I thought I'd start off with something over-the-top delicious!

I give you...drum roll please...DOUBLE BROWNIES!


Both Mr. C and I found these to be outrageously delicious! If you are a brown sugar fan like I am, you'll ESPECIALLY love them. I had a hard time not eating them--as you can see from the photo below. They had to be rapidly farmed out to the neighbors or Mr. C and I would have gobbled them all up. (Fortunately our neighbors, bishopric, and Mr. C's co-workers have willingly accepted the responsibility of eating my baked goods whenever called upon!) The recipe is from the Taste of Home Baking Book. I was looking for something I could make with supplies I already had on hand. This brownie ended up being a perfect choice.

The layers are delicious together. And the caramel frosting, OH THE FROSTING! It has an almost maple taste to it without having any maple extract in it. (Good thing too since Mr. C doesn't care for maple.)

I highly recommend you make a pan of these brownies right away. You won't be sorry! Oh, and please bring me one when you're done. I'd love a bite...or two...or six.

Double Brownies
Bottom layer:
1/2 c butter, softened
1 1/4 c packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 t vanilla
1 1/2 c flour
1/4 t salt
1/2 c chopped walnuts
Middle layer:
1/2 c butter, softened
1 c sugar
2 eggs
3/4 c flour
1/4 c baking cocoa
1/8 t salt
1/2 chopped walnuts (I use pecans)
Caramel Icing:
6 T butter
3/4 c packed brown sugar
4-6 T milk
2 1/2 c powdered sugar
In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour and salt. Stir into creamed mixture. Stir in nuts. Spread into a greased 9 X 13 baking pan; set aside. For middle layer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine the flour, cocoa, and salt. Stir into creamed mixture. Add nuts. Spread over bottom layer. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack. For icing, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and milk; bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Cool just until warm; beat in powdered sugar until the icing achieves spreading consistency. Spread over brownies. Let stand until set. Cut into 24 bars.

One side note: Mr. C and I did keep a few of these tasty treats for his lunches. We found that after about 3 days they were stale and rather flavorless. I kept them in a covered container, but I'd say they have a lifespan of about 2-3 days.

P.S. Welcome to everyone who attends my classes at the Little Theater!

No comments: