Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Berry Berry Yummy

A couple weeks ago I was perusing my recently delivered copy of Simple and Delicious--my favorite cooking magazine. I was planning out my next 2 week meal plan (yes, I only shop once every 2 weeks) and choosing new recipes to try. Inside each issue are contest recipes submitted by readers based on an ingredient or cooking style. Just in time for summer, the newest issue highlights "berry bonanza" winners. The grand prize recipe is a delectable looking blueberry bread pudding.

Let me just interject here and say that I have a long-standing love of bread pudding. That love deepened last year after making Paula Deen's recipe from her first Lady and Sons cookbook. We've made Paula's recipe countless times for special Sunday desserts and visiting friends. In fact, we've had it so much over the past year I was on a small bread pudding boycott.

I have also been obsessed with blueberries lately. After sampling dried blueberries at Costco a few weeks ago (is it possible that anyone loves sample time at Costco as much as we do?), and finally digging up 7.99 to buy a bag, I've gone blueberry crazy. (I used the dried blueberries in lemon blueberry scones last week. YUM!)

Knowing we always have a special dessert after Sunday dinner, I decided it was time to end the boycott and try this prize-winning recipe. I reluctantly forked out 8.99 to Costco for a clam shell of plump little blueberries. (I also added grilled chicken blueberry salad to my menu. Without more than one recipe to use the berries for, 8.99 is too expensive for my grocery budget.) I also bought a loaf of Mr. C's favorite french bread from Walmart and a bag of white chocolate chips. I knew we were in for something tasty.

Oh boy--were we ever!


Then again, with 4 cups of heavy cream and 2 cups of sugar in the recipe, how bad could it be?

Be prepared, this bread pudding is sweet. I mean, SUH-WEET! If you don't have a blood sugar problem before eating it, you will after.

Aside from tasting great, this is a pretty dessert. I mean, just look at the colors and textures! Golden bread chunks, gorgeous berries, highlights of white chips--it's a feast for your eyes.


With summertime and fruit season approaching, and berry prices hopefully dropping, you'll want to add this one to your "make this" list.

Oh yeah, and if you try it with the sauce, let me know how it is!

Over-the-Top Blueberry Bread Pudding
3 eggs
4 c heavy whipping cream
2 c sugar
3 t vanilla
2 c fresh or frozen blueberries
1 pkg (10-12 oz) white baking chips
1 loaf (1 lb) french bread, cut in to 1" cubes
In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cream, sugar, and vanilla. Stir in blueberries and baking chips. Stir in bread cubes; let stand for 15 minutes or until bread is softened. Transfer to a greased 9 X 13 baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Sauce:
1 pkg (10-12 oz) white baking chips
1 c heavy whipping cream
Place baking chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over baking chips; whisk until smooth. Serve with bread pudding.

No comments: