Monday, April 23, 2012

Banana Muffins

You know how sad you get when you find a piece of fruit that has seen better days? It's got a nasty, brown spot or perhaps even (and this never happens in my house, I assure you...OK, maybe not) a little furry spot. And you see that little spot, and you get so sad. Your mind starts to race with thoughts of what a waste of money it was, how you should have eaten that delicious apple instead of the three (OK...five) chocolate chip cookies. 


Why is it that you never feel that way when you come upon a darkening banana? I'm thrilled when my bananas finally cross the threshold into baking territory. Sometimes, I even throw them in the freezer to speed up that process. Come to think of it, there's a couple bananas browning away in my freezer right at this moment. 


Well, I came upon some browned bananas last week and decided it was time for some banana muffins. I love this recipe. It is the perfect blend of banana flavor. Oh, by the way, I'm not a huge banana lover but I love banana bread, but not when it's TOO banana-y. This is perfect. If you wanted a little crunch, toss in some walnuts or pecans. Or if you want a little extra sweetness, toss in some chocolate chips. As for me, I think the next time I whip them up, I might put a little cream cheese frosting on top.





Banana Muffins
Makes about 12 muffins

1/4 c. butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
2-3 large, ripe bananas
1/2 c. water
1 t. vanilla 
1 t. soda
1 t. baking powder
1/8 t. salt 
2 1/2 c. flour

Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat slightly. Add other ingredients. Fold in nuts or chocolate chips, if you are adding some. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes. ENJOY!

By the way, a lot of banana bread recipes call for mashing the banana before tossing it into your mixing bowl. I NEVER do this. If the bananas is browning already, I just toss the banana into my mixing bowl and call it good. Also, I've been known to toss a little banana baby food (AKA: banana puree) in when I didn't have enough or any bananas. It works fantastic! 

No comments: